Sunday, December 10, 2017
To protect yourself from the smoke, officials recommend that everybody:
▪ Stay indoors as much as possible and keep the windows and doors closed.
▪ Avoid activities that increase indoor pollution, such as lighting candles, smoking or vacuuming.
▪ Don’t rely on dust masks for protection. Those are designed to capture large particles, like sawdust, and won’t protect your lungs from the small particles found in wildfire smoke. N-95 masks will offer limited protection.
▪ Avoid exercising outdoors.
▪ Set your heat or air conditioner to recirculate, so it doesn’t bring in air from outside.
▪ Keep an eye on children, the elderly and those with heart or lung disease, as they are especially vulnerable to the effects of smoke.