Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Chilling Effects of Censorship


You would not know it by looking at how much I have gotten into print, but starting in the 1970s I was the victim of a concerted campaign of silencing headed by Fredson Bowers and his cohort. A major piece of my work was kept out of print for 20 years and then was printed not in the United States but in Australia. This meant that my thinking on important issues was suppressed when it ought to have been taken into account by dozens of other writers. When this particular piece was published, it was too late for it to do much good. I learned a great deal about the cowardice of the academy, and now want to encourage everyone to protest against Twitter's bowing to censorship. It is tragic when a great force for social good decides to capitulate to tyrants.

No comments:

Post a Comment