Friday, October 26, 2012

Thomas Sparks testifies, and testifies . . . .

The Informacon of Thomas Sparkes on the Behalfe of the Right Honoble the lord propriatery before his lordpps Justicess of the peace at a Courtt holden for Talbott County the fifteenth day of August in the 40th yeare of dominion of Caecilius [1671] &c Annoq doth Concerning Certaine goods which was Stolne from the house of Richard Tilghman of Talbott County Thomas Sparkes Saith that he hard that Seauerall goods wass Stolne from his master docter Richard Tilghman and that there wass Search Made for them by the Cunstable walter Rowles and that there Came to Patrick Soulavants house where the Said Sparkes his Master had Ordred to worke fowre women which the said patrik Sopossed to be spies the Said Sparkes being Asked by the Courtt houe he knew that Patrick Supossed the women to be Spies the said
Sparkes Said he harde the Said patrick and his wife say so towards night following patrick Called me In and bad me goe to the landing to See if I saw the women Coming from the Bachelors And when I Came back againe I tould the said patrick I saw none A Coming  and he maid Strainge at it for one of the women had Left her Child with patrick and his wife and After that they Sent me downe Againe to the landing to See if I saw them Coming and as I Came Back againe I hard patrick tell his wife he did not Care when they Came for they Could find nothing And he bad his wife hange the key upon the naile A small time After the Taylor Came and he maid patrick A Coate of black frise which I suspected to be made of A [p. 189] Coate Which Charles Eggerton lost the taylor Lyned the Saide Cote with Canuis which I did Susspecte wass part of my masters Canuis which wass Stolne and I tolde it to Rice Cookeman and the Said Sould to the taylor A paire of drawers which I knew belonged to one of my masters Tilghmans Servants which wass lost when my masters goods wass Stoulne and I Saw patrick wifes Cote Aboute a quarter of A yard of A pare of Shetes which had my Mistrisses name one them and I allsoe Saw towells and napkins which belonged to my Master And Missteris and allsoe the Saide patrick wowld haue me to goe to my Masters And fech Some of Curnelias the Carpindars tooles or he said he wold Send the way that Mr Tullys man went and he did Send one Sabboth day for A froo of Curnelias the Carpinder and Sade if I brought it not he would make me An Example to all men in the world And Swore Soe many Oathes to that effect that I durst not goe back againe therefore I told the Millor Geffery of what goods I saw at patricks of my masters and I desired the Millor for to tell my Missteris for my Master wass not at whome that Shee might take Some Corse for my Safty and I allsoe told the Millor they might find Some of the goods In A longe tree lying one the South Side Patriks house if not there to Search In the tobaco house for one day patrick bad me after I had made an end of weeding in the Cowpen to take A hattchet and goe to A hole In such A tree and Cutt it wider and take oute A box And Carry itt Into the house to his wife which i did the box wass Close Stoped with Raggs and In the night when I wass In bed pattrick and his wife did take oute of the box Some Sheitts And one shirt or two And Some napkins And towels which wass much wett and Spotted and they dryed them by night And I Allsoe tould Cornelius of it and Curneylius tould my Misstaris of it and brought my Missteris to me and After I had tould hir of She told me patrick Should doe me noe hurt . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment