Friday, May 24, 2013

"Coincidence"--Gansevoort Melville and Chief John Rogers, Together Forever

Warren Broderick has been finding treasures in and around Albany lately, including reprints of William E. Cramer's memorial piece on Gansevoort Melville. I used my Delaware newspaper databases and other sources such as fultonhistory.com to hunt for the Washington, D.C. paper where Cramer's piece was first printed. After I failed, Scott Norsworthy sent me a pdf of the original from GenealogyBank. Somehow I had missed GenealogyBank so I promptly joined and as soon as I was a member I checked for Melville's brother-in-law Hoadley and Garibaldi but did not find anything. I did not try GenealogyBank again, never called up a newspaper item.

Yesterday while a roofer was finishing his housetop invasion I played with ORNERY PEOPLE to see what the connection was to Sam Houston and Will Rogers--connection, not kinship, for as my Natchez double cousin Lois says, in the South if you are not kin you are connected. She should know for she, after all, is my connection to Gore Vidal!

I looked up Cynthia Rogers and Joseph Coker (Joe being my GGGG Uncle) and found masses of information including the fact that her father, John Rogers, chief of the Western Cherokees, had died in Washington, D. C., in the home of "Eugenia Townsley." Well, hours later I still did not know if Eugenia was a Politically Correct Washington Hostess like Pamela Harriman before her time, or if she ran a boarding house for $8 a week, as one source said, or if she was really Eugene A. Townsley or Townsly or some other variant. You have to pay for a D.C. directory for 1846. The censuses in 1840 and 1850 did not help, and my old faithful databases did not help except to give me a three line obit in a few papers, with only one Boston paper having to explain to its readers what the Western Cherokees were.

Hours later, the roofer gone, I remembered the new database I had subscribed to, GenealogyBank, and typed in "Rogers Cherokee 1846" and got the little three line obits but also got a longer article. I called it up as a pdf.

What I got was the Washington UNION of 13 June 1846 where the first article at the top of the middle column was "GANSEVOORT MELVILLE"--the obituary by his friend Cramer. No, I said to myself, this is what Scott sent me a couple of weeks ago.

No, I said, this is what I just called up.

In the next column, starting just before the article on GM ended, was "DEATH OF A CHEROKEE CHIEF" written by a friend, ESS-SEE-ESS.

The first article I called up on GenealogyBank produced an image of the page that Scott had sent me a couple of weeks ago--the same issue, the same page, of the same D.C. newspaper.




No comments:

Post a Comment