Friday, September 6, 2013

In 2002 Richard Brodhead lied about Melville POEMS in the NY TIMES and Andrew Delbanco Copied him in the NEW REPUBLIC

Brodhead said I merely surmised the existence of lost books Melville finished in 1853 and 1860 and went so far as to say that only I in my "black hole" had surmised the existence of the 1860 POEMS. Delbanco said my merely surmising the existence of these two lost books meant that readers should be extremely cautious in reading anything in my two volumes because I was so unreliable.

Of course, everyone had known since 1960 that Melville had finished a book in 1853 and everyone had known since 1922 that Melville had finished POEMS in 1860.

Elizabeth Schultz echoed the big boys a few months later.

Not one of these famous critics has apologized.

Very strangely, Delbanco in his 2005 book mentioned the existence of both these lost books.

What should be done with critics who lie about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment