Saturday, April 11, 2015

Jacob Forney, one of our PA Forneys, Gathers up Children in Utah 2 Years After the Massacre

A 5 May 1859 letter by Jacob Forney, Superintendent of Indian Affairs, on his collecting surviving children, two years after the massacre. Of the children named here, little Charlie and Annie Francher are Coker cousins. How strange to have a Lincoln Co. NC connection rounding up children in Utah.

I say in the beginning of my letter that I purposed bringing to this city certain children remaining of the Mountain Meadow massacre. These children, sixteen in number, I have now in my possession. Thirteen I got in Santa Clara, at Mr. J. Hamblin's, who collected them in pursuance to my directions, and three I got in Cedar City on our way home, left there by Mr. Hamblin. I am pleased to say that Mr. Hamblin has discharged his duty in relation to the collection and keeping of those children.

The following is all I have been able as yet to collect of the history of these unfortunate, fatherless, motherless and pennyless children.

John Calvin, now 7 or 8 years old; does not remember his name; says his family lived at Horse Head, Johnson co., Arkansas.

Ambrose Mironi, about 7 years, and William Taggit, 4 1/2 years, brothers; these also lived in Johnson co.

Prudence Angeline, 6 years, and Annie, about 3 years; these two are said to be sisters.

Rebecca, 9 years; Louisa, 5 years, and Sarah, 3 1/2 years; from Dunlap.

Betsey, 6 years, and Annie, 3 years; said to be sisters; these know nothing of their family or residence.

Charles Francher, 7 or 8 years, and his sister Annie, 3 1/2 years.

Sophronia or Mary Huff, 6 years old, and Elisha W. Huff.

A boy, no account of him. Those among whom he lived call him William.

Francis Hawn or Horn, 4 1/2 years old.

I have come to the conclusion, after different conversations with these children, that most of them came from Johnson co., Arkansas. Most of them told me that they have grandfathers and grandmothers in the States.

Mr. Hamblin has good reasons for believing that a boy about 8 years of age, and belonging to the party in question, is among the Navajo Indians, at or near the Colorado River.

No comments:

Post a Comment