Tuesday, September 1, 2015

GGGGGG Grandfather Robert Ewart's 1764 Will



Will of Robert Ewart dated 6 Nov 1764--Father of the Committee of Safety Robert Ewart

Transcribed by Peggy B[ruckner]. --improved (being improved) by Hershel Parker 1 September 2015

I Robert Ewart of the County of Mecklenburg & province of N Carolina, weaver, being sick in body, but of sound & perfect mind & memory praised be God for the same calling to mind the uncertainty of my time in this transitory world & that it is appointed for all men once to die Do make & ordain this my last Will and Testament in manner & form following that is to say first and chiefly I recommend my [the word Soul should go here but is not present] into the hands of my Creator Almighty God who gave it hoping through the merits and Intercessions  of my Blessed Saviour & Redeemer Jesus Christ to enjoy a place of rest with him in Immortality & my body I commit to the earth to be decently buried in a Christian manner at the discretion of my Executors hereafter named, and as to what worldly estate it hath pleased God to bless me with in this life I dispose of in manner following
Imprimis.  I order that my just debts & funeral expenses be paid & discharged by my Executors.

Item. I give & devise all & singular my plantations & tracts of land whereon I now live in the said County aforesaid containing by estimation one hundred & six acres the other one hundred and thirty four acres together with all the buildings improvements & appurtenances thereunto belonging unto my youngest son Joseph Ewart his heirs and assigns forever.--

Item. I give and bequeath my best bed & furniture to my loving wife Catherine Ewart, also I give & bequeath unto my said loving wife Catherine Ewart one milch cow to be of her own choice of all my cows.

Item.  I give & bequeath unto my eldest son Robert Ewart one milch cow to be delivered to him in one year after my decease.

Item. I give & bequeath unto my Daughter Margret [sic] Adams one Heifer.

Item. I give and bequeath all the rest & residue of my personal estate unto my youngest son Joseph Ewart.

Item. I order & it is my will that my youngest son Joseph Ewart his heirs Executors or administrators do pay unto my said loving wife the yearly sum of five pounds proclamation money towards her maintenance during her natural life & supply her with a good milch cow & sufficiencies for same. During the same time [term?] & also shall also [sic] find [means "supply"] her a riding horse as often as she shall have occasion thereof and also shall accommodate and furnish a convenient room & a fire place for her to dwell in & also shall provide & supply her with sufficiency of fire wood in case she shall choose to live by her self, and also shall supply her his said mother with convenient & necessary apparel in case that the yearly payment shall prove insufficient for her maintenance which shall be in lieu & stead of her dower or third of my Estate. I do charge my Estate both Real & personal the payments Legacies and accommodations aforesaid.

Item; I nominate and & my said loving wife Catherine Ewart and my youngest son Joseph Ewart to be my Executors of this my last Will & Testament and I disannul & make void all former & other wills and Testaments by me made whether in word or writing & declare this only to be my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this sixth day of November in the year of our Lord 1764.

Signed Sealed pronounced and declared by the said Robert Ewart to be his last Will and Testament in the presence of us.

Wits:

Benjamin Brown                                                Robert Ewart (seal)
Daniel Davis
Tho Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment