Sunday, September 10, 2017

Memo to Becky and other Oklahoma Glenns about Cousin John Herschel Glenn, Jr.


Becky Glenn and other Glenns, you may have known this all along but I did not. Now, I have been going through the Glenn DNA chart which shows cousins all from Renfrewshire near Glasgow and a good bunch it is, descended from The Bruce and much involved with the Stewarts. That's OK with me, since I am a Stewart at least 2 ways. From this DNA chart I have been tracing a bunch of Tennessee Glenn cousins and others but this morning I thought, well, there is this Gabriel Glenn born in 1717 in Ireland (where some of the Renfrewshire Glenns went starting in the 1600s). So I checked him and his son and his son and another generation till a son did not have a son but had a brother so I checked the brother and his son and got down to John Herschel Glenn the middle name of which was just a coincidence but then there was a John Herschel Glenn Jr who in 1962 was the first American to orbit the Earth and later a great US Senator, even if he was clumsy enough to fall in a bathtub. Now, Becky, you may be a Glenn only one way, but a Glenn girl was John B E Glenn's second wife, so I am twice a Glenn. And 2 ways kin to this good guy! This beats being second cousin once removed to Kevin Costner, though it does not beat being cousin to Jane Austen. What it does, is suggest just how much we will know in 10 years if we are still around, just how fast science is progressing. Let's hear it for Cousin Gabriel, exiled in Ireland! And all you Wister Glenns, you are kin to the first man to orbit the Earth.>

No comments:

Post a Comment