Monday, December 11, 2017

The Long Winding Path from Hershel Parker to Kevin Costner, 2nd cousin once removed.

Hershel Parker

Martha Izora Parker
your mother

Edgar Lugene Costner
her father

Moses Amariah Costner
his brother

Walter Madison Costner
his son

William Von Costner
his son

Kevin Michael Costner
his son


I did not know which of Uncle Mode's sons was Kevin's grandfather--Walter. In her early childhood in Oklahoma Territory and then Oklahoma the only uncle my mother knew was "Uncle Mode," Moses Amariah. I think the last time she lived near him was in 1930. I thought of checking this on Geni because I have been checking the relationship paths of some of the Defenders of the Alamo. So far Geni searches only my mother's side, and even from that it is astonishing how many of the Defenders are kin. First I saw that Jim Bowie was a Maryland Pottenger, like me and Rosalynn Carter. Then I thought, what the hell, let me see if I am kin to others. This will impress my Texas friend Jim. And of all families, the Costners provided a lot of the dead at the Alamo, and I can easily verify every step on the path. Who would have thought it? I don't like the 32-path relationships when I think there are shorter ways, like from me to Keven. I mean, the link to Jim Bowie is two or three times as long as it needs to be. And think about it. It's not surprising how many Defenders should be kin. Many of the early American Texans were from the South, from old families. And as triple cousin Lois says, in the South if you are not kin you are connected.



No comments:

Post a Comment